Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Send to Evernote or Add to Evernote?

In my last two posts, I discussed:
  • Using the Bcc field to send a message to the Evernote inbox and create a note.
  • Using the "Add to Evernote" Outlook Addin to create a note.
Are you confused about when to use one and when to use another? I encourage you to use each to see how if feels for you, but here is how I am currently using *both*. (Editorial note, this usage came out of my desire to apply the GTD (Getting Things Done) and TSW (The Secret Weapon) approach to Outlook and Evernote--EN).

Add to Evernote Button -- I use this when:
  1. I am not immediately responding to an e-mail, but I know that I will want to later. I use EN to prioritize and make sure I don't forget.
  2. I will not be responding at all, but I want to save it in EN for archival.

Bcc to Evernote Inbox -- I use this when:
I am responding immediately, and I would like it in EN either because:
  1. I think I will need to respond later.
  2. I doubt I will be responding later, but I still would like to archive it in EN.

I should add that both are functionally equivalent when it comes to putting the note into any folder or adding any tags that you would like. Although sending to your Evernote Inbox requires that you add folders and tags to the subject line in the correct order, which I sometime struggle to remember.   You also might get questions about what the folder and tag items on are on the subject line.

No comments:

Post a Comment