Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Importance of Common Language

I had previously written about “binary clarity” and how gratifying it was to hear others using that language after I left a position where I had used it frequently. The reason this was so gratifying was I realized the others had internalized what it meant. In short, the group had developed common language Further, they had internalized the importance of the concept.

Today, while attending a daily standup (I am now an observer, not an active participant) I heard the use of more common language. When I heard term used, I could tell everyone knew what it meant and what actions would follow.

I have an older brother that is now retired. He frequently comments on how he enjoys having his kids quote him. He likes to add, “Others will carry on after me”.  Common language is critical. It’s even more gratifying when you are the originator of the language.  It confirms that you have had an impact on the group and that others will “carry on”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment