Sunday, January 12, 2014

Calendar Before the Inbox

If you have worked with me or followed me on Twitter, you have frequently seen the #inboxero hashtag. While I used this mantra in my approach to my daily e-mail, I was not all that successful in practice (see www.inboxzero.com for some practical ideas). I recently took a different job within my organization and it has dramatically reduced the volume of mail that I get (thankfully). This change allows me to successfully apply the Inbox Zero concepts to my inbox, but I now have a different problem -- managing my calendar.

Previously, I had to give little to no thought on how I spent my day. I only had to sift through my inbox to find the most important crisis. So the "change cycle" that I am currently in is that my in box no longer "fills my day". To have some focus for the day, I now need to write down some goals and then put them on my calendar. Other than turning an e-mail into a meeting on my calendar, I have been wondering why there aren't there more tools to put tasks on your calendar.  Additionally, many of the "task managers" are good with "due dates", but not "doing dates".

Does anyone have any good recommendations for tools to help in this manner? I would be especially interested if they integrated with Evernote, Outlook, and GTD philosophy. If you do, please send me an e-mail or DM me at @AnAgileMindset.

No comments:

Post a Comment